Online courses are delivered through an Internet based learning system called Canvas. When you register for online courses, your courses will become available on the first day of class. You will need to log in and complete weekly assignments. These assignments will be your attendance records for your course. You will also be required to complete 2-3 proctored exams.

For support resources for online students see details below.


Your online courses will require textbooks. Some courses will include the books as an eBook option and will be linked in the course on through a navigation menu titled Bookshelf. If you are taking a non-Northeast section through the MSVCC, you can view what book requirements you have for your online courses you will complete a Student Access form on the MSVCC website. After registration please allow up to 24 hours before your Student Access profile becomes available. You may contact your instructor or the eLearning Office if you have questions on the textbook requirements. Textbooks not included in your course as an eBook may be ordered through the Northeast Bookstore or through other book distributors.

MSVCC Student Access form with Textbook Requirements (Make sure you select the correct semester when completing the form.)

Withdrawal Information 

Students are encouraged to maintain their enrollment in all courses for each semester. However, in cases where the academic load is too great to maintain, students may reduce their load by withdrawing from one or more classes. Students are strongly encouraged to maintain full-time status (12 hours or more) if practical. Reducing your course load below 12 hours may affect your financial aide and/or grants.

If you wish to withdraw from an online class, you may contact the instructor, Division Head, Counseling Center, or Instruction Office. (Online classes may talk to eLearning Office) to begin the withdrawal process. Class withdrawals will be charged a $10.00 fee and College Withdrawals will be charges a $25.00 fee. Full details can be found in the Student Catalog under Academic Regulations.

Check out the Canvas Student Training Course to learn to navigate Canvas and the many tools for your courses.

Canvas Resources

Contact us for help at
24/7 Support available at 1-855-308-2755

State Authorization for Online Education

If you are a Northeast Mississippi Community College student living outside of Mississippi, be aware that all U.S. states require postsecondary educational institutions to be legally authorized to provide postsecondary educational instruction in their states. Northeast wants to provide online education programs and courses to students in all states and territories. Northeast has been approved by the state of Mississippi to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). As a SARA participant, Northeast is authorized to offer distance education to persons residing in other SARA-member states and districts. SARA is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary online education courses and programs.

Online Education Complaint Process

Northeast Mississippi Community College seeks to resolve concerns and issues in a reasonable and timely manner. Students who have a complaint may submit their concerns to the eLearning Office at Complaints regarding student grades or student conduct violations are governed entirely by Northeast policies. You may view the entire complaints/grievances policy on the Northeast Website. Students should use Northeast's internal complaint process before pursuing external options.

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the Northeast student complaints process, students may file a complaint with the Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation by visiting their site. Students may also contact the appropriate agency in their state of residency. A current list of agencies can be found on NC-Sara’s State Portal Entity Contact listing.

Professional Licensure

If you live outside the state of Mississippi and are considering a program that leads to licensure, it is highly recommended that you should contact the appropriate licensing board in your home state before beginning an academic program at Northeast. SARA does not provide reciprocity for state professional licensing requirements. While it is the student’s responsibility to contact the appropriate licensing board in his or her home state to confirm whether or not the Northeast program will meet the state’s licensure requirements, Northeast will make attempts to contact students who are residing out of state while enrolled in licensure programs to prompt them to check their states requirements.